Plants vs. Zombies crashes on startup on your device? Here’s how to fix it.
Plants vs Zombies is a popular game that has been around for about a decade now, and it stands out as the favorite game of many. However, one notorious downside of the game is the recurrent crashes, which are typically encountered during startup. And this is killing the fun of the game.
In any case, follow through this tutorial to fix the crashes.
Fix: Plants vs Zombies Crashes on Startup
Below are some fixes you can try:
Note: If you’re encountering this error on PC, ensure that your graphics drivers are up-to-date, as this could be the cause of the crashing error.
Fix 1: Verify Cache Integrity
These crashes could be caused by issues with missing files (and the likes), brought about by incomplete or faulty installation of the game. If this is the case, you can easily fix it, as described below:
- Go to the “Games Library”.
- Find “Plants vs. Zombies” and click on it.
- Click on “Properties”.
- Go under the “Local Files tab”.
- Find and click on “Verify Integrity of Game Cache”.
Steam would restore any faulty/missing file. If the game still crashes, try the next fix.
Fix 2: Adjust Screen Mode in Registry Editor
It’s possible that your PC’s screen mode configuration is the cause of the error. So, try and reconfigure it in Registry Editor.
To do this:
- click on Win + R keys to open the “Run” dialog box
- type in “regedit” + Enter
- in the regedit window, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SteamPopCap\PlantsVsZombies and double-click on it
- locate the ScreenMode file and set its value to “0”
- save changes and then exit regedit.
Now, restart PC and relaunch the game. If the error persists, try the next fix.
Fix 3: Clean Reinstall the Game
This action would remove essential data (including your progress); so, ensure you have a backup.
To run this procedure:
- launch Steam
- go to “Games Library”
- locate “Plants vs. Zombies”
- right-click the game and select “Delete local content”
- exit Steam
- go to “C:\program files/steam/steamApps/common/Plants vs. Zombies” (program files location)
- delete the folder (for Plants vs. Zombies)
- exit window
- restart Steam; and then reinstall Plants vs. Zombie.
This should fix the error.
Hope you find this helpful in fixing Plants vs Zombies Crashes on Startup?