It is important to ensure that iPhone data is removed before selling it to someone unknown, to mitigate the risk of any potential data leaks. Fortunately, erasing the data on an iPhone is a relatively simple process. In this comprehensive guide, I will show you how to erase iPhone in various situations.
How to erase iPhone via Settings app
To restore your iPhone to its factory settings, you can utilize the “Erase All Content and Settings” feature. Just follow these simple steps:
- Open “Settings” app on your iPhone and tap on “General“.
- Scroll down and select “Reset” or “Transfer or Reset iPhone“, then choose “Erase All Content and Settings“.
- You will be prompted to enter your passcode or Apple ID password to proceed. Allow some time for your device to complete the process of securely removing all data.
By following these steps, you can confidently erase your iPhone and restore it to its original factory settings, ensuring your personal information is protected. However, if Erase All Content and Settings not working, you can keep reading to get other methods.
How to erase iPhone via iTunes
iTunes, apart from its role as a media file manager, also serves as a valuable tool for managing iPhone data. It allows you to perform various tasks such as backing up, restoring, updating, and even erasing your iPhone. Follow these steps if you want to erase iPhone via iTunes.
- Begin by downloading and installing the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
- If you have previously enabled the “Find My iPhone” feature, it’s important to turn it off before proceeding.
- Launch iTunes on your computer and plug in your iPhone > Within iTunes, navigate to the “Device” tab.
- Then, go to the “Summary” section.
- Look for the “Restore iPhone…” option and click on it to erase your iPhone.
How to erase iPhone via iCloud
If you happen to lost your iPhone or want to erase iPhone without passcode, resetting it through iCloud can be a helpful solution. The following steps will guide you on how to erase your iPhone using iCloud:
- Open a web browser and visit iCloud.com > Log in with your Apple ID and passcode > Once logged in, choose “Find My iPhone“.
- In the “Find My iPhone” interface, locate and click on “All Devices” > From the list of devices, select the iPhone that you want to reset, which is currently locked.
- After selecting your locked iPhone, a set of options will be displayed. Choose the “Erase iPhone” option. This action will trigger a complete wipe of all data and settings on your iPhone.
How to erase iPhone via FoneTool
Apple offers 3 official methods for erasing an iPhone, as mentioned earlier. In addition to these methods, there are also iOS Data Erasers available that offer data erase solutions. These tools often provide an added layer of security by performing multiple data erasure passes, making it highly unlikely for the data to be recovered.
One such tool is FoneTool, which not only offers data erasure but also provides a convenient way to back up your iPhone data to a computer before proceeding with the erasure.
FoneTool offers users alternative options for securely erasing their iPhone data, giving you greater control and flexibility in managing your device and protecting your sensitive information. It only can help you erase all content in one click but also can help you erase individual data, for example, you can choose to only delete messages on iPhone.
To use FoneTool for erasing your iPhone data, follow these steps:
- Download and install FoneTool on your computer. Connect your iPhone to the computer using a USB cable.
- Launch FoneTool and navigate to the “Toolbox” section. From there, select the “iPhone Eraser” option.
- Adjust the erasure settings based on your specific requirements and preferences. FoneTool provides various options to customize the erasure process to suit different situations.
- Once you have configured the settings, click on the “Erase Data” button to initiate the data erasure process. FoneTool will swiftly and securely empty your iPhone, ensuring that the data is irrecoverable.
By utilizing either of these methods, you can confidently wipe your iPhone clean, protect your personal information and ensure that it does not fall into the wrong hands. If you want to deep wipe your iPhone, FoneTool can be a better choice.
Nora Reynolds is a major in biology and a minor in Biological Basis of Behavior, writing about science in general. She also likes to try new gadgets and sports about the AI new era.